High Bill Help
We’re here to help you
Help with high billsIf you have a high bill and need help, contact us soon as possible. We’re here to help and will work with you to find a solution that fits your needs. Here are a few ways to get started if you need help paying your bill:
- Need more time to pay?: You can request a payment extension 24/7 by logging in to your account, or calling our automated phone system at the numbers below.
- Need more help? Call us: Our team will work with you to set up a payment plan. Our team can also help connect you with energy assistance programs, if needed. You can call us at 503-228-6322 or 800-542-8818 Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
What triggers high bills
In the winter, many things can trigger higher bills, including using more heat. Here are some high bill triggers and solutions to help you keep your costs lower.
More heater (or space heater use). Also, your heater has to work harder in colder temperatures to keep the temperature you want.
Use what you need to stay comfortable but remember to turn the heat down when you are sleeping or away. Also, schedule a tuneup for your furnace each year.
Your home needs insulation or weatherization.
Thermostats are set high or are inaccurate
Set your thermostat for your comfort. Just remember, turning it up higher doesn’t heat your home faster – it just makes your heater work harder than it may need to.
When you are home, set your thermostat to 68. When you are away or sleeping, set your thermostat to 60.
Check your thermostat accuracy. Use an instant-read cooking thermometer to see if the air temperature matches your setting. If you can, you might want to upgrade to a smart thermostat.
Heating unused rooms
If you have baseboard, ceiling or wall heaters, consider turning off the heat to unused rooms (just watch out for mold).
Fireplace dampers/doors left open
Close fireplace dampers and doors when not in use.
Foundation vents uncovered, allowing cold air in
Install foundation vent covers in fall to keep wind and cold from creeping in under your house. Vent covers can also help prevent frozen pipes. Remove them in spring.
Water heating triggers
- Old or inefficient electric water heater
- Water heater set too high
- Holiday guests: More water heating, laundry and dish washing
Try this tip
Lighting, appliances & electronics triggers
- Lights on longer during darker days
- Inefficient holiday lights or leaving lights on all night
- New appliances or big screen TV
- Hot tub pump problems, or insulating cover left off
Try these tips
- Switch to energy saving lights.
- Choose LED holiday lights and put them on a timer.
- Try other appliance & electronics tips and tips for pools & spas.
*Savings will vary based on circumstances