Whether you’re digging, building or doing maintenance outdoors, you never want to accidentally contact overhead or underground power lines. The results can be dangerous and costly.
Send your team home safe — share these rules
- Call 811 before you dig to have underground utilities marked.
- Assume all power lines are energized and dangerous.
- Survey your job site regularly so you know the location of all utility lines and equipment.
- Look up! Keep everything — yourself, materials, ladders — at least 10 feet away from overhead power lines. When cranes are involved, keep the crane boom and load at least 20 feet away.
- When you’re operating or moving equipment, a co-worker should always stand watch to help you stay clear of lines.
- If you contact a power line when operating heavy equipment, stay in the driver’s seat and warn others to stay back. Move the equipment away from the line if you can do so safely. Call 911 and PGE to report the emergency.
We have more tips to keep your workplace safe in our Business Safety section.