4 steps to get winter-ready
That’s a great question. Thanks for asking.
Q: During a big storm last winter, my business lost power. What steps should I take to prepare in case we get hit again with wind or ice?
A. Throughout the year, we work to power your business safely and reliably. That includes strengthening the power grid to help prevent power outages. And if wild weather does knock out electricity, we’re prepared to respond quickly to get you connected again. We encourage you to get ready, too. Here’s a simple four-step plan.
1. Know how to report an outage
- Online: Go to mobile-friendly PortlandGeneral.com/Outage
- Phone: Call 503-464-7777 (Portland) or 800-544-1795.
2. Assemble an outage kit
- Car chargers for cellphones or laptop computers
- Battery-powered or hand-cranked radio
- Battery-powered or wind-up alarm clock
- Fresh batteries
- Emergency phone numbers, including PGE outage numbers
3. Minimize disruptions and protect equipment
Walk through an outage response plan with key employees. Some things to think about:
- Can you manually bypass electronic door locks?
- Do computers have surge protection and automatic backup?
- Do you have a manual backup plan for cash registers?
- Is emergency lighting operational?
- Does staff know how to shut off equipment?
- Are backup generators ready to go?
4. Stay connected
Learn more about how to make your business storm-ready.